~ finding amusement in the simple things in life ~

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

In the 'Mood'

We teach a primary class for our local LDS church every Sunday.  There are SEVEN six-year-old boys in our class.  Some of them have special needs.  They can be surly.  They can be sweet.  It can be fun.  It can be a challenge.
  Recently, I taught a lesson about repentance and used a band-aid in an analogy for healing our spiritual wounds.  I had, in my home stash and for in-class distribution, a box of band-aids... not just any band-aids, but SUPERHERO band-aids!  I was sure this would be an enormous hit and likewise prepared myself to be thanked and praised.  The variety included: Captain America, The Hulk, Ironman, etc.  At the end of class, I offered each boy in attendance his very own band-aid.  A couple chose theirs apathetically, before one young gent spit out, "Band-aids are useless!" and rushed out the door.  Another boy thought about it for a bit before pushing my hand back, shrugging his shoulders, and announcing, "Nah, I'm not really in the mood."
  I guess my lesson was on humility.  That, and never, ever assume you know what kind of reaction a 6-year-old boy will have.  Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment